Tuesday, June 09, 2009

buying local

Along with trying to bike on nearby errands, we are also trying to buy as much locally as we can. Items on our local buy list range from fruit/ veggies to bread and eggs and fresh pressed Apple juice. I can probably find my milk almost direct from the cow, but we do buy regional Schwarzwald Co-oped milk to support the local dairy industry that is having a hard time in Europe as well as in the US. I must say it is easier to buy locally in our area than in some others. Although I am sure that larger cities have their farmer's markets and bring in the local produce from the surrounding area.

One of my fears upon reentering the US is that much of my buying from local farmers will stop, since I have gathered the impression that there are no local farmers to support and/or that the existing Farmer's Markets are more of a sporadic novelty and tourist addition instead of a real wage supporting endeavor. I am hoping that I am very wrong in this assumption.

There is something comfortable and satisfying about knowing the people who grow your food. For all of our mass communications and mass production, food is still a personal issue. Food is a basis concern, just like building relationships; we can have our online email buddies for a quick snack and a feel good "how ya doin" conversation, but when it comes to real nutrition and feeding the soul, we all need that personal contact, that relationship that is local and real; one that you know where is comes from and how it is grown since you can see the soil that it is grown from.

So buy local as much as you can...it is good for your farmers and good for your soul.




No comments: