Sunday, May 10, 2009

Schluchseelauf May 9, 2009

The location of our 18K occurred about an hour north of us in the Black Forest. Good thing the surrounds are beautiful and flat and that I had a great walking buddy or it would have been an extremely long afternoon around the Schluchsee. However, I knew it was going to turn out to be a good day as we left Rümmingen with plenty of time. Time enough that we stopped at a Floemarkt for about thirty minutes; which was long enough for me to pick up a small wooden hand crank coffee grinder with Schwarzwald written on it plus the fifty or so years' worth of grease to add to its "antique" value. I also picked up a cold-war era gas mask for 5 euro's...don't ask, it was for Paul. And he was thrilled!

Group warm-ups 15 minutes before start time at 2 pm

Another walking buddy of our group, red shirt and back pack.

And we are off!

A look across the lake to where we will be in about an hour.

My walking buddy Susi. We made it to the end of the See. Now we need to turn the corner and head up the far side.

Walking the end of the See.

The American flag caught my eye from across the lake! and upon looking closer I saw drums, so I thought there must be fifes there as well. And sure enough after we turned the corner to walk up the far side of the See we heard the fifes and drums playing. I even knew the tunes and it help me walk alittle faster, as they were playing a quicker march tempo.

We made it to the other end of the Schluchsee, now for a break of bananas and Iso drink.

This is at the other end of the See...

and the view behind me...breathing taking. We have 10K more to walk.

At Aha, we are almost there..about 5K left..we are getting leg tired.

The last break at Aha, before the final push....

we could have taken a sail boat around the See, but we walked....

...and finished in THREE hours! Yahoo for us!

I must add that during the last 5K my thoughts were on a verse..."I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me!" and I kept walking...So thanks Jesus!

No comments: