Thursday, April 02, 2009

Month of Malaise, March

I am continually amazed at how it is the seemingly little things that make all the difference in the undercurrent of a culture. Take the example of attitude toward health and sickness vs school attendance. March has been our month of sickness. We have had atleast one child home, three out of the four weeks of March and as we are approaching the Easter holidays in April and I still have one in the bed and all three are finishing up their antibiotics tomorrow. So a lot of school time has been missed. I really cannot believe those words are coming from me, but I am concerned about this; I, who am a homeschooler at heart and who thinks that organized school rooms classes with 23+ plus kids is too much for sanity. But I ramble....

The point of this cultural observation:
Stryker-Ann has been sick and has missed two solid weeks of school. I have emailed one of her head teachers, and I stopped and spoke to her French teacher today. BOTH responded the same: yes she may have some work...but it is more important for her to stay quiet and to get well.
My American culture of: you must go to school or work at all cost of health peaked out and could not believe it ears. You mean really just don't worry about it and get better? What about all of those days missed? get healthy, the work will be there when you return healthy.
From Wils' teacher I recieved the same response, and I am sure if I asked Vaden's it would be the same as well.

I am really liking this attitude of: health really does mean something and the understanding that it does take time to heal some illnesses; which is a part of life. Unlike the attitude of the American culture, that illness is a form of weakness and infringes on ones independent life style. Remember in school, the kids that got an award for not missing a day of school the whole year? I have a friend who received one. I also remember a girl receiving an award for not having missed a day of school her whole high school years. On first analysis this is fantastic and it really is amazing no matter how you look at it, but underlying it is a work ethic that puts all else aside, it is one of the building blocks for future ill health. Now if the child is truely not sick then great, but it is that attitude of I must at all cost to my health and the health of others around me go to work, school, etc. What are we really saying when we do this?

The life here seems to encourage that, if you are sick you stay home and get better, there are enough sick days to cover it, you are a better worker, student if you are healthy. My home culture seems to say..hey you lazy bum, you are not really that sick, are you? It is a real inconvenience and besides you only have so many days to be sick so you better pull your self together and get in to work or school.

Please don't think that because of this attitude toward health, all is peaceful....I'll blog next about the Abitur Prufungen which are the Senior's exams.

2 comments:

Josh said...

I like this Madge! Thanks for sharing. I miss you and your fam. Tell everyone I said hello. I still pray for you guys a lot!

Anonymous said...

I like this too, Madge! and how crazy to have such a work ethic as in America and then fail to educate and raise our children to become responsible adults?