Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Unworthy?...nah, just laden

Heard this song, by Cheryl Wheeler, the other day while streaming WUMB, a folk station out of Boston. To hear her voice and intonation for this song is very funny. But then when you actually read the lyrics it is pretty sad about how much guilt we ... I mean I ... LOL, needlessly carry around about the things we must do, and ... ah well, just read the lyrics.


Have a listen while you read:

Lyrics

  • Unworthy
  • Words and Lyrics by:
  • Cheryl Wheeler

  • I'm unworthy, and no matter what I'm doing,
  • I should certainly be doing something else.
  • And it's selfish to be thinking I'm unworthy,
  • all this me, me, me, me, self, self, self, self, self.
  • If I'm talking on the phone I should be working on the lawn
  • which looks disgraceful from the things I haven't done.
  • If I'm working on the lawn I should be concentrating on
  • those magazines inside, since I have not read one.

  • I should learn how to meditate and sew and bake
  • and dance and paint and sail and make gazpacho.
  • I should turn my attention to repairing
  • all those forty year old socks there in that bureau.
  • I should let someone teach me to run Windows,
  • and learn French that I can read and write and speak.
  • I should get life in prison for how I treated my parents
  • from third grade until last week.

  • I should spend more time playing with my dog
  • and much less money on this needless junk I buy.
  • I should send correspondence back to everyone
  • who's written, phoned or faxed since junior high.
  • I should sit with a therapist until I understand
  • the way I felt back in my mom.
  • I should quit smoking, drinking, eating, thinking
  • sleeping, watching TV, writing stupid songs.

  • I should be less impatient when the line just takes forever
  • 'cause the two cashiers are talking.
  • I should see what it's like to get up really early rain or shine
  • and spend three hours walking.
  • I should know CPR and deep massage and Braille
  • and sign language and how to change my oil.
  • I should go where the situation's desperate
  • and build and paint and trudge and tote and toil.

  • I should chant in impossible positions
  • till my legs appear to not have any bones.
  • I should rant at the cops and politicians
  • and the corporations-in indignant tones.
  • I should save lots of money to leave Audubon,
  • plus all the rocks and animals and plants.
  • I should brave possibilities for plotting plums of problems
  • prob'ly blossomed, plausibly from
  • blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
  • blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah I'm unworthy.

  • 5/20/97
  • (P) May 27, 2003

  • Penrod And Higgins Music / Amachrist Music
  • ACF Music Group
  • International Copyright Reserved

No comments: