Saturday, June 03, 2006

language, ha,ha No.107+

I am almost finished my first course of language classes. I will have finished Book One of three books, however I am going to try out what I have learned for a couple of months, then go back to pick up Book 2 in October. My plans are to rejoin a Nordic walking group (they have breakfast together afterwards, yum) and then start in with a ladies bible/book study. All in Deutsch.
The children continue to grow by leaps and bounds in their language and knowledge of living in DE, so...
Here is the HA,HA :
We had a chimney sweep by the house last week (it is required to have that service preformed yearly). I went out to greet him and said "Hallo", which was enough for him to stop in his tracks and piece together words to say that he did not speak English too well. One word was all I said! No problem for me, I don't speak German that well, either!
Fortunately the kids were here and they translated all he and I needed to say to each other, plus helped me to figure out that we did not need the gas on at all in the summer ($$$) and looked at the hotwater heater and turned that down as well. I did try out some of the things I had learned in class and the sweep was good natured enough to help out with the "der, die, or das".
The kids are off from school for Ascension Day, May 25th, until June 13th (including the Pentecost Holiday, June 5th).

4 comments:

B&R said...

Hey Madge,(I don't think P has joined a ladies BS)haha

Or should I say "Hallo"?

We had to call the phone company and the guy instanstly knew I was a foreigner. So, he raises his voice to me thinking that will help me understand better.

Keep on tracking you are doing great. one third C'est fini!!

Tell P thanks for the English translation over at the Meilsups. i just saw it.

Arnold Austin Jr said...

COngrats from Costa Rica on the win

Anonymous said...

May 25th - June 13th off for Ascension! We just had a four day weekend!!! And what is this getting of for Pentecost? Has Germany become pentacostal? (Actually, the kids here got off one day for Pentecost, but we adults in language school missed that one.) On an interesting note, though, B and I have now been witnessed to by a pentacostal. She told us that we were not obeying God fully because we did not speak in tongues.
R of R&B

Madge said...

They have another hoilday this Thursday!? June 15
I need to find out what this next one is for.
M