Sunday, May 21, 2006

Untitled ... ... while running errands

I finally have something that I feel is blog worthy. I have been absent from blogging for various reason, most of which have to do with time margins and then also the problem of too many wonderful things to write about or not enough and if I were an actual honest to goodness writer they would have been wonderfully transformed onto blog "paper". 
Well I have one for you ... I am  running errands, you know dropping off kids, picking up kids, going to the grocery store. That errand running busy stuff, when on the radio comes this song ... we are living in Germany now, right?, so you would think that I listen to German radio music, if only it were that simple and that easy. The music that comes over the airwaves in our neck o' the woods is a combo of American TIMEWARP 70's and 80's with some German pop thrown in and German DJ's for the news , traffic and weather, because we are in Germany, right (?). The Germans love this type of music. Hey, it's good for me. I get to embarass my kids by singing and actually knowing all the words to "Joy to the World", no, not the Christmas carol, but I do know all the words to that one, but I mean "Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog", you remember that one? ...and others. Well, I'm winding down a road when I hear this twang of a song come on and I have never heard it before , so I turn it up ... it is one of the campyest 70's/80's songs I believe I have ever heard and I needed to ask myself where was I? which decade?, which continent?, which planet even? ... then I remember that only in Germany would I hear in English, while winding at 70 kph in a Ford mini-van, through beautiful senic vineyards, this long lost ballad by Stan Ridgeway, "Camouflage".*
Ain't life grand? I laughed till my sides hurt and I even sat in the car in the driveway till the song finished ... just a snapshot of our life here so far....
*ps...it is a song about a marine in '65 in the jungles of Veeitnaam, and how this soilder, "Camouflage," saves him from the enemy. The soldier returns to camp safely, only to find that the person who helped him, had been lying dead in a tent for a week......
pss..for the record I love campy songs

1 comment:

Josh said...

Why am I not surprised!?! Hahaha. I love campy songs too. Great post Madge.